Thursday, May 27, 2010

Vampires and Other Super(duper)naturals: Their Present and Their Future

In follow up to a post that will likely continue as a three part series, I ask the question - Why Supernatural? Why Now? Some authors at the BEA had a few things to say about it. The panel Paranormal Fiction for Teens: From Vampires to Werewolves to Zombies and Shape Shifters featured Richelle Mead, author of the VAMPIRE ACADEMY series; Andrea Cremer author of NIGHTSHADE; Holly Black: WHITE CAT and ZOMBIES vs UNICORNS, and Ivy Devlin, author of LOW RED MOON.

Two interesting points:
  1. The idea of a transformation that occurs at the result of an uncontrollable emotion. (Certainly as a teen, I too might have been called  beastly by mom.)
  2. The consequences of that change: unintentionally hurting those around you. Also, part of the teen experience for many. 
I'll add to the list this: Immortality. My teenage years were filled with scary, stupid, reckless decisions. I never thought I was immortal, but the issue of mortality just didn't apply to me yet. Did I want to be immortal? Sure. Why not. Bring it on. More time to finish my homework. I think that being absorbed in a story that has to potential to go on forever is highly attractive, not just to teens. 

Later, I asked Richelle Mead what her thoughts on the future of these immortal beings may be. It's her belief that the way in which the creatures are presented to readers will shift, but still remain popular. I'd go along with that. I'd also say that all things wax and wane and while we are in a period where this is it, all things find their turn at the bottom of the wheel. Eventually, that is. Rome had a pretty long run. 

Will it happen soon? "Our list isn't indicating it will," say on of Big 5's publicity professional. 

There you have it, folks. 
-Amy Hayden 

2 comments:

  1. These creatures just keep coming back. They have a bright moment and then they fade away but eventually they'll come back again and again. Same as every other theme and craze really.
    I do like that explanation as to why these work so well for teens though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks cassandrajade for posting - it is interesting to explore the possible psychology behind the current fads.

    ReplyDelete